To use 2FA, you will need to install any Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) based application on your smartphone. This app generates a TOTP code that changes after a certain period of time.
Install a TOTP app on your smartphone e.g.,
In case you prefer, other TOTP apps can be used, on condition they are based on the open standard TOTP algorithm.
Time needed: 6 minutes.
How to setup 2FA
- Go to Settings > Password.
Click on “Set up the two-factor authentication”.
- On your smartphone, open your TOTP app and scan the provided QR code.
- Enter the code provided by your app as requested.
- Generate backup codes.
They will allow you to access your account in case you loose access to your TOTP app (e.g., phone lost/stolen/broken, etc…)
Each backup code can only be used once.
Re-generate them as you get out of them.
- Download backup codes and save them on your most secure digital storage space.
- You are all set.
NOTE: 2FA does not apply to non-web connections (e.g., SMTP-IMAP/POP, EAS, xDAV, XMPP). Make sure to disable access to services which are not in use OR generate service specific passwords.
- If you ever lose access enter your backup codes.
Additionally, in case you didn’t generate your backup codes yet. You can do so as explained in this article.